Custom Search
Under the Baobab Tree Under the Baobab Tree

Tuesday, January 28, 2003

The Frozen North, Major League Baseball, and Alice in Wonderland

I spent the afternoon on the 3 p.m. Acela to New York today. I love the Acela. So much more comfortable than an airplane.

Items of note:

1. Every body of water between Washington and New York is frozen. This includes the Anacostia River, the Severn River, the Susquehanna River, the Delaware Bay, the Schuykill River, the river in Trenton (whatever it is), the Passaic (or is it Secaucus?) River, and the Meadowlands. I'm told the Hudson has chunks of ice in it but I couldn't tell because I was underneath the river in the tunnel.

2. I sat next to the nicest man on the Acela. He was a very mild-mannered public relations man who is working as part of the team trying to bring Major League Baseball to the DC area. He was on the phone the whole time telling his team that whoever they are presenting to tomorrow in NYC are not interested in power points, or any multimedia show, just the cold hard facts and maybe some briefing books. This endeared him to me. I ended up with his card and a promise of free baseball tickets if he succeeds in bringing a team to DC. It occurred to me that it might also result in some work for the firm...

3. On the subway from Penn Station to my hotel a saw the beautiful Alice in Wonderland mosaic on the walls of the 50th street 1 train station. It's so beautiful -- like an Arthur Rackham silhouette in gold and yellow tiles.

4. Then I noticed for the first time that the Columbus Circle station has architectural medallions of a boat that looks suspiciously like the one Columbus himself arrived in. Though it could also be Henry Hudson's boat, or Peter Minuit's, I suppose.

I am in the same hotel as always, the Essex House on Central Park South. I plan to order room service and hit the Heavenly Bed (the ONLY reason to stay in a Westin). Although first I'm going to hit the town with my old college buddies.

I love New York. Every time I come back here I wonder why I ever left.... Maybe I should just stay... No-one would ever notice....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home